When the carpenter Kaspar Faber (1730-1784) started his own small pencil factory in Stein outside of Nuremberg in 1761, he laid the foundation for what is now the Faber-Castell company. The business was named "A.W. Faber" after his son Anton Wilhelm Faber (1758-1819) in the second generation.
After Kaspar's death, his son Anton Wilhelm took over the business that had already grown to a respectable size. He acquired a plot of land on the edge of Stein with a workshop that within a few years he had expanded into a flourishing manufactory. To this day, the company has its headquarters here.